Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Breakfast Club

This past winter break I met with my great-aunt in New York to discuss my internship options for the summer ( she's a big-time lawyer, someone that I aspire to become). Lunch was great, and my aunt was especially welcoming, friendly, and helpful... but what I most remember about this lunch was my aunt's story about her Saturday breakfast ritual. She told us how one morning a few months back she went to her usual bagel store on her way to work ( yes , she does work Saturday mornings! .. on her own free will) and she sat down next to this perfect stranger to eat her breakfast. My aunt and this total stranger ended up talking all through their breakfast, about work, families, New York, the usual non-invasive conversation. However, what is so amazing about this friendly conversation between two strangers, was that it turned into a real friendship! From that day on, every Saturday morning the two women meet up at that same bagel shop and talk about their lives. They discuss their children, their grandchildren, their work, whatever is on the days menu...who knows. But what I am sure of, is that this really only happens in New York. A friendship formed on Saturday mornings. A ritual established. A city that continues to throw things at you that you probably never even saw coming.

Lesson of the story: Next time you run into a perfect stranger- SAY HELLO- who knows they could just be your next best friend!! ... or you know, just another experience and story to tell ,  in a city that provides tons of them.

1 comment:

  1. i resent that you say this could only happen in NYC...please

    ReplyDelete